Archive

Archive for December, 2018

Fight Evictions-News

December 18, 2018 Leave a comment

Attempt to hold trial of Roscommon Anti-Eviction Activists in Semi-Secret. You can stop it! https://wp.me/pKzXa-1cG

Harristown District Court in Roscommon….

10 Am on Friday morning, January 18. Please can you come along to show solidarity

————————————————————–

Documents “Gone Missing” From Legal File in Central Office of High Court on Evicted Family!!!!

Just look at what a person has to go through to see a file about him that he is entitled to see

Anna Kavanagh  https://wp.me/pKzXa-1cG

The most important documents pertaining to his case were missing from the file.”

A shortened version of what the farmer at the centre of the Roscommon Illegal eviction, told me tonight Friday 21st December 2018

The farmer at the centre of the Roscommon illegal eviction travelled to the central office in the High Court in Dublin this morning to retrieve copies of his files. On entering the central office at 11 AM he was informed that his file would not be available until 2:30 PM and was instructed to go over to the retrieval book and enter his case number and details and the file would be available at 2:30 PM.

On returning at 2:30 PM he was told to go back to the Retrieval Book and if there was an X marked beside his case number it meant that the file could not be viewed.

On returning to the Retrieval Book there was an X marked beside his case number.

On returning to the desk he asked where his file was. The girl at the desk informed him it was with the registrar and she was unable to name the registrar.

The farmer moved away from the desk to explore his options.

He returned to the desk and asked when he could see his file. He was told it would not be available for viewing today as the file was not in the building.

He then contacted his solicitor who instructed him to demand his file as it was in the building. He returned to the desk and received no satisfaction.

The Farmer’s solicitor instructed a Junior Council to go to his assistance at the central office. The Junior Council arrived and instructed the farmer not to leave without seeing his file and to state that if he didn’t get his file the media was on standby.

At this point he was told to go to the floor where the High Court registrar’s office is located. Through the glass widow a lady could see the farmer at the door. She opened the door and came out of the office. The farmer explained to her the series of events that were unfolding. She gave the farmer the name of the office manager and told him to return and speak to her about retrieving his file. The office manager came out and told him the file could not be retrieved today. The farmer asked where it was. She said that she didn’t know. The farmer formed the opinion that she was in a very uneasy distressed state in response to the standoff that was unfolding. The farmer responded by saying that it was okay as the media was on standby to highlight what was happening. At this point she asked him to wait and she said she would be returning to him in five minutes.

After approximately a 15 minute wait she returned and having miraculously retrieved the file she handed it over to the farmer. At this point the farmer then examined the file thoroughly alongside a legal representative there on his behalf. The most important documents pertaining to his case were missing from the file.

When the file was viewed previously, these missing documents were in the file.

END OF STATEMENT

———————————————————–Article in Roscommon People Slates National Media Coverage Of Strokestown Eviction  https://wp.me/pKzXa-1cG

Paul Dalton: “Indeed, such has been the bias displayed by certain quarters of the traditional print and broadcast media in the last few days that as a former national newspaper editor and foreign correspondent in the UK and Ireland for 25 years, even by the standards of ‘fly by your pants’ journalism, I’m shocked and disgusted by my colleagues, and it takes a lot to say that.”

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/news/48-news/an-out-of-touch-media-elite

‘An out of touch media elite’

Paul Dalton, Dec 20

Amid the outrage that has swirled all week around the shocking events in Strokestown, it’s becoming clear that underneath the justifiable outrage at the manner of the eviction in Falsk, and the apparent ruthlessness of bankers when it comes to repossessions, something equally insidious and dangerous has been taking place.

And, as if it were needed, it is further proof of the chasm which exists between the mindset of a media elite in Dublin and those of us who live and survive beyond the M50.

Indeed, such has been the bias displayed by certain quarters of the traditional print and broadcast media in the last few days that as a former national newspaper editor and foreign correspondent in the UK and Ireland for 25 years, even by the standards of ‘fly by your pants’ journalism, I’m shocked and disgusted by my colleagues, and it takes a lot to say that.

Almost within hours of Sunday morning’s events, The Irish Independent had already fingered “dissidents” as being responsible for the revenge attack against the security personnel shipped down from the North. As someone who’s edited these kind of stories, it was bewildering to see that The Indo had no evidence for its claims, nor any clarification as to whom these “dissidents” were. Republican, Loyalist, it didn’t matter.

The same newspaper within a day then extrapolated its bias by wheeling in a “notorious crime family” as being part of Sunday’s dawn attack, again with no evidence other than unnamed and not even quoted Garda sources, and further cemented its claim of “dissident” insidious control of events.

The aroma of creative license began to waft in the air. To a lesser extent, The Irish Times and broadcast media, especially RTE News, tried to play as straight a bat as they could. But hidden beneath their coverage, there was still a sense of them puting a perfumed handkerchief to their noses as they surveyed the “mad Rossie culchies” out West.

Ironically, it was the often derided tabloids, The Irish Sun and The Irish Mirror who gave the fairest and most accurate accounts, as far as they could, of what took place, and the real sense of outrage many of us in rural Ireland feel.

In fact, it was only these two tabloids who even reported the now notorious moment when one of the security personnel boasted about being “British” on a video clip in response to why he was helping evict an Irishman from his own home, a clip that has gone viral.

So, there have been calls to boycott The Indo, which is fair enough, and their reporters have been told to “f**k off back to Dublin” while reporting from outside the Falsk premises.

In fairness, and I’ve been there, it’s not the individual journalists’ fault. I know from experience that, when a publication has a mindset riddled with bias from the very editorial top, at times you have to fall into line. It ain’t pretty, and might leave a bad taste in your mouth of which you’re not proud, but it does help pay the bills at the end of the month.

No, the reason for such skewered coverage is the simple fact that not only does the Dublin media elite not, in the main, understand the outrage and solidarity that rural communities feel at times such as this, they just don’t care.

And in doing so, they ignorantly risk further compounding the decline in newspaper sales, in effect shooting themselves in the foot: because it has been to social media that the majority – even my 81-year-old mother on her mobile – have turned to search for the truth about events at Falsk.

With a glimpse into the Looking Glass, the traditional media have been Twittered-Out when it comes to this story.

Further proof: within hours, the Irish Daily Mail, for which I once worked, condemned everything that had happened at Falsk as protest masquerading as “criminality”.

No wonder their sales are falling through the floor like soup down a plughole.

Because if a newspaper, like a politician, loses touch with its readers, its constituency if you like, it loses everything.

And even more so when paltry propaganda masquerades as competent journalism.

———————————————————-

Protests outside KBC Bank Branches in several towns and cities
https://wp.me/pKzXa-1cG

Well Done! Keep it Up!

Evicted Family claim that they are now being denied access to information which they urgently require to prepare their own legal defence.

The Democrat

****BREAKING NEWS*****

Anthony McGann and spokesperson for his family, Donal Hanly, arrived at the Central Office In the Four Courts this morning, on instruction of Anthony’s solicitors; Donnacha Anhold and Phelim O’Neill. They did so to bespeak a copy of Anthony’s entire file.

After arriving there, they were unusually told that they could not be dealt with until 2:30 pm this afternoon. When they returned, they were told the file was not available as it was allegedly with a registrar. Solicitors for the McGann’s believe there is simply no reason why the entire file should be with a registrar.

The McGann family requires the entire file in order to construct a case to defend their family home. It is clear that certain media outlets have had access to the McGann’s file in the last week, and they and their solicitors are now concerned that information from their file is being illegally leaked by somebody in the courts services to certain media outlets. The family claim that they are now being denied access to information which they urgently require to prepare their own legal defence.

 ——————————————————–

Men quizzed over Roscommon vigilante attack released without charge

Irish Independent, December 21 2018

Two men who were being questioned in connection to a pre-dawn attack at a repossessed home in Co Roscommon have been released without charge.

The two males were arrested on Wednesday following a number of searches in Roscommon.

A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The “Security Workers” from Northern Ireland Were acting Illegally while providing security services for KBC BANK at the house AFTER THE EVICTION

 

They had not been Garda Vetted and were not wearing identification numbers as required by law for such work. The Gardaí should have removed them! Were those who did remove them enforcing the law???

The Private Security Authority has begun an investigation

Irish Times:”The eviction came on foot of a High Court order. The execution of such orders is not deemed to be security work, meaning registered security guards are not required and evictions do not come under the authority’s remit. (Paddy Healy-They are in fact employees of the Sheriff and therefore of the State while carrying out the eviction)

However, the inquiry will seek to establish if the group was providing security services at the property in the days after the eviction.”

Roscommon Eviction: Investigation begins into conduct of security men

Conor Lally Irish Times;Friday, December 21, 2018, 01:00

 

An investigation into the conduct of a group of men who carried out an eviction in Co Roscommon has been commenced by the Private Security Authority (PSA).

It means the identity of the men, company they work for and circumstances in which they were recruited will likely become public knowledge. KBC bank, who the men were working for, would also likely be asked to aid the inquiry.

The investigation by the authority, which has the power to bring people before the courts to face charges, has been under way since last weekend.

The McGann family were evicted from their home in Falsk last Wednesday week. In the early hours of last Sunday the property was stormed by a gang who beat the security guards, burned their vans and cars and forced them out of the house.

The authority’s inquiry is focussed on the men’s activities in the days after the eviction, rather than during the eviction itself.

In reply to queries from The Irish Times, the authority said: “Following events in Roscommon on Sunday, December 16th, the PSA commenced an investigation into the provision of security services at Falsk, Strokestown, Co Roscommon. The PSA will not be providing any further information in relation to this matter while its investigation is ongoing.”

Court order

The eviction came on foot of a High Court order. The execution of such orders is not deemed to be security work, meaning registered security guards are not required and evictions do not come under the authority’s remit.

However, the inquiry will seek to establish if the group was providing security services at the property in the days after the eviction.

If they remained on at the house to secure it for the bank, that would be deemed by the authority as a static guarding service. In that case, the men would be obliged to follow all of the rules for private security firms set down by the Private Security Services Act.

This states that all of those involved should have been registered and trained as security workers as well as being Garda vetted. They should also have worn identification numbers while on duty.

During the eviction, the security workers from Northern Ireland used force to remove the McGanns and their supporters. While force is permitted under the law, video footage of the eviction has been widely shared on social media and has caused controversy.

After the eviction, the security staff stayed on at the property, in an apparent attempt to ensure the house remained in the possession of KBC. But they were attacked in the early hours of Sunday morning by a 20-strong gang armed with a gun and baseball bats.

Fled the scene

Some of the security workers were hospitalised and others fled the scene. On Monday, the McGanns moved back into the house which was then vacant.

The eviction of farmer Michael Anthony McGann and his two adult siblings from their home followed a dispute between Mr McGann and KBC bank over a loan in excess of €300,000. The dispute has been before the courts since 2009.

Last August the High Court granted a repossession order and later an order of possession, or eviction, to KBC. When Mr McGann refused repeated requests to leave, the house was repossessed by the group of eight security workers from the North, who removed the McGanns and their supporters.

 

——————————————————————————————————–

Irish Mirror To-Day  Dec 18

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/former-british-soldier-whose-private-13747413

Former British soldier whose private security firm evicted Roscommon family ‘thinks he’s Rambo’  https://wp.me/pKzXa-1cG

49-year-old debt collector Ian Gordon contacted former colleagues a month ago urging them to travel to the Republic with a ‘name your price’ offer

  • Photo at link Ian Gordon at a previous eviction in Northern Ireland

This is the man whose private security firm caused uproar by kicking three siblings out of their family home.

Ian Gordon is an ex-British soldier who served with the Royal Irish Regiment and the Ulster Defence Regiment.

He subsidises his military pension with work as the boss of his firm GS Agencies.

He was filmed at the home of a family his firm was sub-contracted to evict by a finance company.

The 49-year-old debt collector, from outside Lisburn, Co Antrim, contacted former colleagues a month ago urging them to travel to the Republic with a “name your price” offer.


Fianna Fáil Facilitated the Evicting Hoodlums

Jim O’Callaghan, Senior Counsel and Front Bench Spokesperson for Fianna Fáil, admitted on RTE that he knew since September Last, 3 months ago, that security personnel involved in evictions were not required by law to wear an identification number and a photograph. But FF allowed this to continue!! https://wp.me/pKzXa-wc

Shame!

Categories: Uncategorized